The new leveling system. What do your guildies think?
Moscow
Mar. 28, 2024
7:39 PM MSK
Sydney
Mar. 29, 2024
3:39 AM AEDT
Hobbiton
Mar. 29, 2024
5:39 AM NZDT
Seattle
Mar. 28, 2024
9:39 AM PDT
Chicago
Mar. 28, 2024
11:39 AM CDT
New York
Mar. 28, 2024
12:39 PM EDT
London
Mar. 28, 2024
4:39 PM GMT

The new leveling system. What do your guildies think?

By:

Commander Soless.7830

Posted On: 09/10/2014 at 10:36 PM

There is obviously a lot of negativity on the changes to the leveling system all over the forums and reddit.  I understand those places are very negative to begin with.  My question is what does everyone's guildies have to say about it?   FX recruits a lot of new players and I don't see the absolute negativity that is prominent in the veteran community.  I'm just curious what kind of attitude other guilds have towards the new patch especially new players.  Anet says this is supposed to help newer players and keep them around.  Is it working?

--
Abyssal Soul/Dustbringer Chana/Wells Go/Tiras Soul/Pyrrhas Soul
[FX]/[ORDR]/[OMEN]

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander Kitty.6219
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 09/11/2014 at 04:52 AM

I find it kind of Meh about it, now that you need to unlock weapon powers by leveling instead of using the weapons. It felt like learning, it felt natural to be using the sword and learning new tricks. Now it feels gimmicky... :(

By:

Commander timmyf.1490
   Member of Super Mega Happy Fun Time

Replied On: 09/11/2014 at 05:11 AM

I think there's a mix of good and bad changes. I like the trait unlock system, but I think they've moved utility skill unlocks way too late. I like the idea of adding new tutorials, but there's only one - on dodging - and they ignore a lot of other game mechanics that should be explained (e.g. combo fields.)

Elementalists don't get Earth Attunement until like level 20-something now, I think? That seems like a long time.

Also, removing bundles and gathering from the early levels seems really questionable.

---
Karaoke (Loki | Oaky | Pokey | Smokey | Croaky | Cloaky | Soaky | Gnocchi)
Guild Leader - Super Mega Happy Fun Time [MEGA] - supermegahappyfuntime.com

By:

Commander Jeduthun.3920

Replied On: 09/11/2014 at 01:45 PM

I think the intentions were good, but the execution was severely lacking.  I understand the desire to make the initial experience a bit less overwhelming for new players to the game, but as veterans, many of these changes severely hamper our ability to get started.

• Being unable to rally from a downed state at level 5 : scholar-class characters who are notorious for being squishy are going to get angry.  Coupled with the lack of additional weapon skills at early levels, all they can do is spam the auto-attack and hope for the best.

• I rolled a new mesmer, and got a focus around level 4.  Imagine my surprise when I found I couldn't even put something in my offhand slot until level 7.  The stats ALONE would have been very helpful, even if the weapon skill was unusable. Apparently, it's hard to focus on holding a scepter in your right hand if your other hand isn't empty - until level 7, anyways.

• No access to the BLTC until level 8 means we have to abuse the mail system to send starter gear (bags, weapons, etc.) instead of just pulling it from the bank (for those that don't have a golem).  Again, the inability to equip fine gear until level 8, or masterwork until 14 is just ridiculous.  A sword is a sword is a sword - players should have no problem wielding it just because it's a bit more powerful.

• Having a directional arrow to your next objective is nice and all, but when you start heading west towards your objective, and an event pops up behind you, the arrow changes to point to this new objective, leaving you feeling as if you just got hit with 3 stacks of confusion (not really).  

Anet should have allowed players with higher-level characters to bypass all this silliness, since we're obviously familiar with the game.  But that's just my two cents.

» Edited on: 2014-09-11 13:45:31

By:

Commander xivor.8754
   Member of Chariot of Fire

Replied On: 09/11/2014 at 02:26 PM

Agreed with everything listed.

Combat Medic Barbie | Mist Walker Barbie | Rigor Mortis Barbie

Guild Leader of Chariot of Fire [FIRE]

By:

Commander Jeff.5139

Replied On: 09/11/2014 at 07:22 PM

I always  see a lot of posts in forums of people looking for leveling guilds and groups and as a new player in any game I make a bee line for "power leveling".  Now the changes makes leveling up quickly ever more essential to enjoying the game.  This makes karma training in WvW and EotM for faster leveling up even more desirable.

Personally I think if we can get new players to do WvW rather than EotM with Guilds or individuals scheduling karma trains on our non-peak hours, new players would stay up late or otherwise find the time for it as they are motivated to level up and unlock the good stuff quickly. 

Having a Karma train running around the maps would get us PPT or at the very least pre-occupy opposing groups so that our other groups will be able to have more time on the offensive.  Over time as the new players level up they will hopefully have an appreciation for the format and spend more time with us in WvW. :)

» Edited on: 2014-09-11 19:47:29

By:

Commander Soless.7830

Replied On: 09/12/2014 at 10:20 PM

I find it funny how Anet has back peddled saying that a lot of this was a "bug".  On the note of wvw for leveling I encourage a lot of my guildies to try out EotM with the pretense of getting them into wvw.  Works really well actually.  Have also had quite a few server transfers as a result.

--
Abyssal Soul/Dustbringer Chana/Wells Go/Tiras Soul/Pyrrhas Soul
[FX]/[ORDR]/[OMEN]

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved