2:44 PM EDT
London
Mar. 28, 2024
6:44 PM GMT

Couple Engineer Questions

By:

Krustydog.3072

Posted On: 01/28/2015 at 08:34 AM

Like my ele. LOVE my engineer. So do my stats affect my turrets damage? I'm leaning towards turret engineer because I hate running away and I hate being ganked 1 on 1. What I'm thinking is turrets plus granade kit specced to max range so someone cant stand at range and take my turrets out. And for roaming is net turret a must? And if so should I spec in to the 25% passive speed boost for the extra turret rather than grenades? Right now I am running the 25% passive w/flame, rocket and thumper and it seems to be working pretty good just want to here from the more xp engineers playing devils advocate. Ideally I want to be able to solo supply camps and whoop anyone'skittenwho gets in my way.

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander synosius.9876
   Member of Seriously Over Rated

Replied On: 01/28/2015 at 10:27 AM

stats affect turrets?  sorta...  first example, went to spvp, equip zerk amu, rifle turret hits medium target golem for 532.  equip rapid and it hits for the same 532.  use flame turret and burning is 328 with zerk, switch to rapid amu and burn for 561 so condis applied by turrets use your condi stats.  Healing turret will be affected by your healing stat. 

the popularity of turret engi is stems from conquest mode in spvp where planting your self in 1 spot is vital.  in open world wvw fights, the enemy can just avoid your turrets and thus will be far less effective. When facing a ranger with a turret build, they can just reposition to avoid turrets or wait till the reflect bubbles drop.  they are far too mobile to 1v1 with turrets. 

I did meet a turret engi who used ground target turrets and threw them into trees and other inaccessible places, left them there to hold the point and went off to fight else where.  I talked to him about playing the build in wvw, he said he would use the spec to defend towers and throw turrets high into the walls and out of the way cause they still die fast to aoe storms.  

Grenades are extremely hard to use at max range, in an open field situation, due to long flight time.  Nades are most often used in melee range.  When using nades it is necessary to use the grenadier trait, they are kinda wimpy with out it.  

just about every engi build with a kit, will use the speedy kits trait for perma swiftness 33%. the builds that dont use it lack trait points for it or they surely would. 

the engi class guru is wolfineer.com

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 01/28/2015 at 03:19 PM

the wolfman has some good insight to the class thx for the link.

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 01/29/2015 at 05:39 AM

I havent played with the turrets much yet other than rifle and healing. Explosive turrets have made me lose to Engie a few times on my teef though..

Yeah, Wolfineer has an amazing resource for Engie. I've read it all and watched all of his vids a few times. SirKoroshi/Koroshi has some good vids with duels w/other classes. Having so much fun with Engi, I don't see myself leveling another toon anytime soon. The cc chain you can put on an enemy is kinda op. Especially starting with OS on the rifle. And slick shoes, omg, so funny to use in certain situations like running through an enemy zerg that doesn't have any stab. 

*Xeero Cool-Mez,Admiral Wiggin-Engi,Arya Sinfelle-Teef,Dirtyfilthyrotten-Necro,Ender Tha Xenocide-Rev
Filthydirtyrotten-Warrior

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 02/15/2015 at 12:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeD5yRL2i3Q

tried this build today-zerg diving is pretty fun.

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 02/15/2015 at 01:25 PM

Fun. I have a hybrid build I use like hers a little, but I like slick shoes instead of elixer s. I wish the healing bomb trait scaled with HP better...but I saw a super super tanky made build a guy had with tons of regen sources and rune of defender and close to 100% soft cc immunity. At some point I might try something like it. Glad you're loving engi. Haven't wvw with my thief for weeks now :)

*Xeero Cool-Mez,Admiral Wiggin-Engi,Arya Sinfelle-Teef,Dirtyfilthyrotten-Necro,Ender Tha Xenocide-Rev

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 02/16/2015 at 08:38 AM

A few other engie YouTubers to watch are Teldo, Yishis, the engie from Abjured who I think his name is Guage or something, addict gamers and Sir Koroshi. GL HF, I sure have. I haven't had a great 1 v 5-6 fights yet, like with my condi thief, but I'm pretty confident 1v2s and if it's too much I just smoke bomb+rocket boots my kittenkittenoutta there ;) its officially my favorite profession

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 02/16/2015 at 04:31 PM

To play suicide zerg buster engi using bomb kit what gear do I want. I reckon toughness is a given but what boosts bombs? Power?

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 02/17/2015 at 07:26 PM

I've seen some fun looking builds with Apoth armor(not sure about Jewelry), Water runes, sigil of Life and Hydromancy on Apoth P/S.  He runs with Tool Kit, Bomb Kit, and EGun. He used Med kid saying that with 1600 Healing power it scales much better with healing power than HT. I myself would still use HT for all the obvious reasons(big water field, cleanses 2 condi ect).

The build has  2 in Explosives #3 Trait.  6 in Inventions #s 1, 6 & 11 Trait.   4 in Alchemy #s 1 & 9.  2 in Tools #6. I can't remember exactly what healing/regen numbers he was getting, but I think he was getting 450 health back per bomb from Elixer Infused Bombs from Inventions #11, and with Backpack regen trait from Alchemy I think was 270 a tick, and all the regen from runes and healing from sigils & EGun is amazing. And a good ammount of that healing is going out to a possible 5 people per tick. Plus with EGun #5 Cures a condition in your Light field it drops, plus you can use Throw Wrench or another projectile finisher through it to cure friend's conditions(not yours though). And the Fumigate #3 Cures conditions for friends also on hit. And it hits 5 times. There's a really good amount of group utility to this build. There's more, but I can't remember it all atm. 

Stick to the commander and I'm sure he/she'd love you for it. If you decide to try it, I'd wanna be next to you! Granted, I think without guard stacks you'd be at 1200 Power 1000 condi damage or so? Which isn't great, but from what I've been told, it's incredibly fun and if the player is competent with Engi, and in 1v1/1v2 can kite well, you'll be super hard to kill. I'm sure switching around some stats could give you more damage, maybe Clerics Stats? or any number of stats. What I love about this game is being able to tweak stats to your liking. I was thinking this with maybe Brawler runes. And try mines in the build to rip enemy boons and knockbacks. One important thing to watch out for with bomb zerg busting is Retaliation from a lot of sources. But it won't kill you unless you're not paying attention. I'm guessing if you can't craft and acquire most of this gear through cheap means(Dung. tokens, Karma ect), it'll cost you some gold. How much, I can't say, but I was thinking of trying to acquire a lot of this stuff slowly on the cheap. But first I wanted to try it in PVP for a while. Mostly I wanted to try having around 800ish healing power and Elixir Infused Bombs and Backpack regen. Just haven't gotten around to it. Hope I gave you some ideas to try. I suggest PVPing with it before spending gold. Let me know if you try something along these lines, I've wanted to bring more to the group, and think this is a fun way to do it. Sometime soon I'll post vids I've seen with builds close to this one. Anyone else try stacking healing power and use a build like this? I know Celestial stats give some nice HP, I wonder how Water runes would do with a set. You would still have plenty of killing power. Not that you have Celestial in PVP, at least it can be tested. 

Sorry if there's a ton of spelling and punctuation problems with this wall of text, I'm typing on my phone plus I keep getting interrupted. GL HF

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 02/19/2015 at 10:56 AM

One thing I should have mentioned, and I bet u already know, but whatever an engie brings to a zerg, other classes can do a bit better. I should also have mentioned that IMO a elixer build can bring more to the zerg. But its what's fun to play to you that's important, right? 

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 02/19/2015 at 11:31 PM

This is what I am running now. Took your advice on elixir infused bombs and backpack regen. Seems to be working pretty well. Incendiary Powder is something I am trying as well and its really nice to put burns on multiple targets. Wasn't sure if it would work but it does.

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 02/20/2015 at 07:20 AM

With condi damage IP is really nice. Must have for a condi build. 

I tried elixer infused bombs for giggles with my mostly  zerk/knights armor, not much in the way of healing, but it wasn't horrible. I was getting 200 healing per bomb and 150ish with backpack regen. I'd Run it more if I had celestial or apothecary armor. But i m best ganking mid/backliners. Im Saving gold to make a more support build. I saw a video with a guy using vamp runes and mostly the build I posted above, looked fun. Lots of immunity and self/group healing. Wish there were infused nades ;)

» Edited on: 2015-02-20 09:08:11

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 02/20/2015 at 11:35 AM

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUpkr9Zx+KseNiaBF6OuxAIyrklPGhCA-T1xCABA8gAuU9nvU+doSQ90QM0+DTfCAAA-w

duh forgot to post the build

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 02/20/2015 at 11:49 AM

This is a common one also http://intothemists.com/guides/323-dreary_yews_zerg_diving_engineer

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 02/20/2015 at 02:36 PM

OK I see my problem-I need to ditch my condi armor for power. I'm gonna cookie cutter his build and try it and tweak it from there.

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 02/20/2015 at 05:26 PM

Yeah, I'd stick with power, healing power, toughness. When you have the build all set up, and you try it, lemme know how it goes. 

» Edited on: 2015-02-20 18:35:11

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 02/21/2015 at 01:09 AM

Only had enough for 2 exotics and the rest rare but even so that build works a lot better. Also switched to rifle for the power spec.

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 02/21/2015 at 08:36 AM

Don't forget u can try a build out in PvP/hot join first. Its a great resource considering gear prices. I also forget that I have dungeon tokens and karma temple gear easily obtained. I remember after the fact.

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 02/21/2015 at 04:49 PM

I finally have paladin's complete build!

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlUUp6qtbxWLseNydBFybGQQPhAkVRewWA-TFiFAB/pEMJlM0pDYJlTAcBAE4BAco6Prs/QAAEgdOxAwQH6QH6QHaTciTciTciFCo8WA-w

For Roaming, switch up ElixirB and Elixir Gun for Rocket Boots and Elixer S

edit:  PaladinVII is his ts name, Iliyia Cena is the character name.  Ive been trying to get the build out of him for weeks because its so unique.

» Edited on: 2015-02-21 23:27:19

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 02/21/2015 at 05:45 PM

I'll give it a try tonight. Flamethrower? Alrighty then. Love the flamethrower just was never that impressed with it. Whos Paladin?

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 02/21/2015 at 07:51 PM

I on't think I've seen that build, or anything really close to it. Have you been using it? FT can be fickle for me and point into the ground during AA, but I'm guessing you don't use it for the AA? With AA aside, it's a practical choice. Pretty good damage, a Blast, KB/reflect, fire field and smoke for stomps. I used it a bit to level in EOTM. You can actually equip FT, hit the toolbelt skill (incendiary ammo) and switch it out for say EG and it won't go away. I tried it to see if it stayed after loading on someone's tip, and it did, but I don't actually remember if the burning applied. I think I got distracted and forgot. I think it's a 45 sec. duration, so you could load it on there quite a while before fighting. I actually need to try to see if the burning applies when I log in. Also, I like the Power Shoes trait a lot, I wish it was an Adept trait though :) So not to feel I have to sacrifice something to use speedy kits also. 

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 02/21/2015 at 10:58 PM

I used it tonight and its pretty sweet. GREAT damage on the flamethrower.

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 03/07/2015 at 02:55 PM

I've been testing my own zerg frontline engie build for a few weeks, and this is what I've come to enjoy when I'm running with a really large group. If there's plenty of stab on pushes(tool belt skill gives aoe stab), I switch slick shoes over the elixer b. The bombs heal for about 320 a sec. with sigil stacks. If I'm having zero trouble I pop in ascended zerk asessoies for extra kick. Nice thing is when vamp rune 5 procs you can still use tool belt skills. And I take renewal sigil over water now. Its pricey, the only thing that is for the build, but worth it after testing. 700+ heal on 9sec. cool down. 

Its not great damage, but it cleaves nice, mines over tk for boon stripping on both main and tool belt skills. Stay on commander always, and you rarely die unless focused or not paying attention. A diff build for sure, but fun to be a frontliner for once. Instead of the elixer b or slick shoes, rocket boots or elixer gun are also an option. The important things are healing bombs, the sigil healing, large/very small water and group condi clear. More with elixer gun, but I haven't needed it much. Rocket boots to get back for restack and its a fun skill. But slick shoes is op, and surprised I've never seen it used in wvw. Only in PvP. The stun break on the tool belt is like 27 sec CD and super speed. And faster you're running or jumping with say rocket boots, the longer the oil slick trail. It can carve sections of zergs off if they don't have stability. Its why I wait till a few secs after the push hoping a necro or someone stripped enemy boons or theirs wore off. 

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUpPrlcx6KseRiaBNqzE6bkxAIyPmlPFBA-T1RDABOcCAuU9noU+BwDA4LlgBt/ge6BCAgAcz2MAczbezbezbWGAmxA-w

» Edited on: 2015-03-07 16:13:49

» Edited on: 2015-03-07 16:27:45

» Edited on: 2015-03-07 22:48:21

By:

Krustydog.3072

Replied On: 03/21/2015 at 08:23 PM

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlUUpyq1WxqKseNCdBF6VklXI6h0wR/pAA-T1BEAB2t/gWKziSpRc6AA4BA0o6PCqEMAACgf+zx7zxrcm5Mn5Mn5MLFAMTjA-w

been using this build for a couple weeks now and really like it. The other wep sigil wasn't listed-I use the one that transfers condition on crit. Pretty much no one even tries to mess with me 1 on 1 roaming and the buffs from experimental turrets bring something in the way of buffing other players when grouping. Me and Paindisciple roam Turret Engi/Full Zerger LB/GS Ranger and no one has beaten us 2 v 2 yet. I know people on the forums call it cheesy and not very good but I like it. Thieves are my kittens :)

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 03/22/2015 at 01:37 PM

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlUUpkrtbxELseNCbBNqxI6OWlp85IEgkC-T1xCABAcBAq4BAA9+Dfp8TQdAHqEsT1fCAgAMzZGAO6RP6RP6RbmzcmHdmzsQAKmAA-w

my new wvw build which I redesigned for the larger numbers in the IoJ/CD match up.

Key elements, self regulating defenses for that last second save which takes the place of rocket boots in my old build.

I used to run EG, rocket boots and GN but EG doesnt do enough dps.  Switching TK in place of EG gives more burst but still needs a stun breaker.  Lose rocket boots and put EG back in for the stun break and supplement with auto shrink trait.

its important to learn the healing turret rotation, detonate and then acid bomb with EG to get more out of your heals.  When you land, drop super elixir for more heals if needed.

if trying to rush through a zerg at a tower door, switch EG to elixir S, stealth, gear block, shrinks should ensure you make it in alive.

SIGIL OF HYDROMANCY SO GOOD!  this cannot be understated enough. Run into zerg mass, throw nades, swap kits for aoe chill.  you can swap kits while stunned too and chill your attacked as a defensive measure and it hits for over 1k.

» Edited on: 2015-03-22 13:46:07

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 03/22/2015 at 04:09 PM

Was gonna post what I run, but I change around a lot depending on group comp or if zerging or roaming. I run pretty standard condi roamer build with rabid and some dire/rabid mixed in. Antitoxin runes are sweet, prob wouldn't run anything else. I go with nades,tk, and either EG, slick shoes, elixer s or boots.  I also have a chill build I've been testing with grenth runes. Chill is awesome with 100% condi duration, and hydromancy with an engi is just nasty for the reason u stated, eko.its the same Reason why I think geomancy is great for engi. Magnet/pry bar with hydro or Geo and static shot is a really nice combo. I've been running nades over bombs now, and miss doing that combo from stealth, why I sometimes run with elixer s..

» Edited on: 2015-03-22 16:53:10

» Edited on: 2015-03-22 18:35:37

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 03/23/2015 at 08:05 AM

Now that I've been "maining" engi, I have a new found respect for necro ;) I rolled one, and like it a lot. Anyone here roam with one? Power dd seems fun, and more mobile than pure condi, or am I wrong? New profession seems like an upgraded necro to me. 

(Ugh, phone has been screwing up forum posts lately, sorry for the double below...)

» Edited on: 2015-03-23 17:28:08

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 03/23/2015 at 11:45 AM

By:

Commander synosius.9876

Replied On: 03/31/2015 at 08:49 AM

Eko's 3kit revised!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlUUpkrtbxELseNCbBNqxI6OWlp85IEgkC-T1REABF8AAyS5Hf6AwZ/hAVCCwFA4S1fCAgAczbGAO6RP6RP6RbmzcmHdmzsMAFTA-w

Ive finally replaced rune of antitoxin, which Ive been using since the creation of the character and switched to run of the pack.  The build has become alot more deadly, dropping targets much quicker than with a dd/condi balance.  Using the saffron bread is important to the build, with out it you will be pressured into back pedaling sooner.

Crit'ing is important to this build, which is why sigil of perception.  Sigil of fire... came with my predator and I nvr bothered to change it.  I might change it for Hydromancy some day but it does deliver twice the dps.  the dmg is roughly the same, but it procs more often and at range.

By:

Commander jdjitsu.7895
   Member of Ecto Nightmare

Replied On: 03/31/2015 at 09:36 AM

That looks nice, but do you find the lack of vigor on swiftness a problem at all?

Some day, maybe, I'll craft ascended for celestial set, I can kind of mix and match to get close, but the healing power and ferosity I can't get high enough. Been spending my extra time leveling my necro to 80... I have pack on a set of knights/zerker I use for large scale and pve when I actually pve..

» Edited on: 2015-03-31 10:51:49

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved