Apr. 25, 2024
4:41 PM BST

Dragon Timer - Should I make it Local?

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506
   Site Admin of Gaiscioch na Rall

Posted On: 03/07/2013 at 09:18 AM

Hey Guys,

So I've heard a lot of complaints that someone has been messing with the dragon timer at http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/dragons.php?serverKey=119&langKey=en putting false times in there. I was wondering if you all would like me to build our own version that tags an arenanet id to the entry so if someone starts putting false information in i can just remove their ability to submit information. This would allow us to have all timers / scoreboards local to this site and allow you guys to have more accountable times for your dragons. Just a thought.

Benjamin Foghladha
Community Manager, SanctumofRall.com
Founder and Activities Director, The Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander Kyla.8524
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 03/07/2013 at 10:05 AM

I vote yes! Awesome idea, I love having the timers for the major dragons(shatterrer, tequatl, jormag). Are you planning to implement the minor timers as well? (worm,maw,fire elemental, shadow behemoth). I would really appreciate these being on the site since this site loads a lot easier and faster for my computer for some reason.

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 03/07/2013 at 10:29 AM

This site should be fast as I used very very very little graphics. I'm using mostly html and css3 to create the visual elements on the site. I'm trying very hard to keep things as fast as possible.

For the timers I can set those up too. It would just require someone with a sanctumofrall.com account to update them regularly. I know theres a bazillion people camping these now days so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard. I can also setup a auto reset every 30 minutes after a timer should have flipped just in case nobody updates it to keep it relatively close. Just figure it might help out a bit.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Commander Alpha Dragon.4576

Replied On: 03/07/2013 at 05:36 PM

This would be a great addition to the site and community. Please do add it :)

Eternal Breaker [ExB] || Sanctum of Rall
- Dare to be Different -

By:

GKJCheng.9518
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 03/08/2013 at 06:07 AM

Yes please! I would love to see this implemented :) In addition I think having the temples and the other world bosses would also be nice too!

By:

zhanna.9437

Replied On: 03/08/2013 at 08:51 AM

I would use it often. Thanks for providing another great service to the community.

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 03/08/2013 at 09:30 AM

Got the concept build but need to get all the calculations down. If I could have a few volunteers head over to: http://www.sanctumofrall.com/dragontimer/ and click Active Now when the spawns are up that would start allowing me to collect data. Once I have enough data on each boss I can do some cool things to predict when bosses will spawn when people are not reporting.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Mattargul.9235
   Member of Caedas

Replied On: 03/11/2013 at 07:19 AM

I accidentally hit completed on SB just now. No undo-sies, I guess? :(

Can you add a feature that would allow you to provide an offset to the completion, e.g. the event finished 10 minutes ago and such? Would be helpful in cases where you don't update the timer right away, but go back to the page a while later and see no one hit the completed kittenon yet.

[TW] Dances With Leaves

By:

Kaleden.9386

Replied On: 03/12/2013 at 11:14 AM

I like the layout, the history button, and the ideas behind this. My only worry is whether there will be enough people on this site contributing for it to have any sort of accuracy. I dig the idea regarding the automated timer for periods when there are no witnesses and I also appreciate the link to the Guildwarstemple.com site's timer (if nothing, it helps verify estimates).

» Edited on: 2013-03-12 11:18:15

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 03/12/2013 at 11:38 AM

I think as we get more people using it it will have no problem staying on track. The key is to get enough data from consecutive spawns to generate a timetable. If it's programmed it has a pattern, it's only a mater of finding it.

Once I get some more free time I plan to tune it a bit more. The big issue is over night when people don't run them as often. It seems come morning people use the system and throughout the day they get updated but over night it lapses. With how many people guest on our server to complete these I suspect they are taken down like clockwork. If I build the algorithm to compensate for lack of people throughout the night the first person to ping it in the morning should set it back on course.

This system is fairly new and people don't quite know about it yet. I have been trying to announce it while i'm doing boss hunts but until we can get it in front of the community at large it will be an uphill battle.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Mattargul.9235
   Member of Caedas

Replied On: 03/15/2013 at 12:35 PM

One suggestions: Add a link t this discussion on the timer page. Makes it easier to submit bug reports and suggestions.

Bug: Sometimes the Next ETA displays odd values:

Mar. 15
12:53PM - 10:53AM PDT

[TW] Dances With Leaves

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved