Apr. 29, 2024
7:34 PM BST

Guild Wars 2: Introducing the Megaserver System

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506
   Site Admin of Gaiscioch na Rall

Posted On: 04/01/2014 at 05:01 PM

News from: Guild Wars 2

Learn all about our plan for bringing more players together in Guild Wars 2!

Read More

Read More at: Guild Wars 2

Benjamin Foghladha
Community Manager, SanctumofRall.com
Founder and Activities Director, The Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Lawrencii.1356

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 08:18 AM

"With the launch of the April 2014 Feature Pack, we’ll be activating the megaserver system on our level 1–15 maps, main cities, and the PvP lobby."

I don't like the sound of this. Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand we are goin to mix with in an NA megaserver and the only way to be in "Sanctum of Rall" is goint to be the WvW maps? i dont really care about the pve maps... but the main cities that I fear is going to take away a lot of that feeling that you are in SoR and not in any other server or nameless megaserver with no identity?

Sorry my bad english.

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 09:03 AM

I really don't like the sounds of this.

Event's like the Great Tyrian Adventure will be nearly impossible to organize, we'll lose our server climate, and only those servers that focus on WvW 100% will have an identity in this new world. The rest of us will be blended together with other servers. How are we to rally the troops to join us in WvW if we can't speak to the Rallians? We'll be announcing it to all the servers. 

There are just so many things wrong with this change, I can not even begin to express my dread. On April 15th they are removing the server climate from the game. Server Communities will be decimated unless they are 100% WvW focused, and something tells me that's on the horizon too to be blended. Sad sad day indeed. There's a storm coming.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Incantator.8453
   Member of Unorthodox

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 10:04 AM

It will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out. Colin posted a bit more info in response to some similar concerns from RP communities on the official forums:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Megaservers-and-RP/first#post3847854

To maximize your odds of running into other RP players more often, you’ll want to make sure you’re on the same world (generally TC and Piken are viewed as the RP worlds), and in guilds with other RP members also on that same world. For example, everyone from TC currently will be set to high priority to sort together, same thing goes with people who are all a part of the same guild (so guild up RP folks!)

We’ll continue to monitor, adapt and update the system as we go forward as well, for now I’d suggest seeing how it works once we enable the mega server system across all maps and then giving comments and feedback when you see it in action!

» Edited on: 2014-04-02 10:04:34

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 10:35 AM

Here's my post:

Megaservers and the death of Community

Greetings,
Many of you may know me as the leader of Gaiscioch [GSCH] a 13 year old gaming community who has spanned 4 games and now entering our 5th. I am also a man whose life was affected by Roger Oldroar Rall and organized a group of his friends and family to help influence ArenaNet to get a server named in his memory.

I understand the goals behind the MegaServer:

1. Avoid Server Closures / Mergers
The Megaserver concept pushes servers together so that they are 1 group of people sharing the same game world. This is a fantastic concept and from a PR perspective brilliant. Instead of the gaming press reporting about server closures and mergers (as you know they would) putting a negative tone on your product and usually causing a snowball effect, you can avoid all this by megaservering up.

2. Putting people in empty zones.
As the population has progressed and spread out, population in non-champ farm zones or Orr has dwindled. This system would allow everyone who IS playing in a zone that’s not as popular as it once was to have people to play with. This is a great concept.

3. Putting more opportunity to make new guild mates.
By pushing the community together guilds can have a much larger recruiting pool. However the problem then becomes how to get them to be able to play with you in WvW.

All of these concepts are great on paper however in application there are some things that you need to think about.

1. The Death of Server Communities.
By Megaservering if your server is not a 100% WvW dedicated place, such as Sanctum of Rall, your zones will be filled with foreigners, people who you have fought against for over a year and a half, who’s blood boils at the mere sight of you. We’ve all seen it, you’re in an overflow and someone starts up with the server bashing. This is going to be day in day out every day in Guild Wars 2 from this day forward. The bad blood is going to be spilled out all over our capital cities, our formerly friendly zones, and fill our chats.

2. Public Community Events
In addition think about events like the Great Tyrian Adventure where 150 people from all of the guilds on Sanctum of Rall pull together for a few events per week to play together and make some epic memories. In the new system all of the servers flood into instances of the zone. Getting those 150 people into the same 2 overflows will become increasingly more difficult. See the Lion’s Arch event for example. Getting into the same instance with 30 of your friends was impossible. Imagine trying to do that with 150+. The megaserver will prevent things like Great Tyrian Adventure from happening altogether. Imagine trying to talk 150 people into getting into the same map to complete as task. Can we say migraine?

Goodbye to Server Climate
The server climate we all have come to love over the years will now be gone. You’ll be mixed into all servers and the feeling of server pride will solely be one for WvW players. For the better part of the past 2 years I have been giving bags out to new players on Sanctum of Rall to thank them for calling us home. On April 15th that will no longer be feasible as every player in the game would also share that zone. There is no way for me to communicate just to the Sanctum of Rall players.

Server Communication
Before every WvW event I travel around and let people know where we’re going and encourage them, no matter the level, to come out and have some fun with us in WvW. I hit queensdale, divinity’s reach, vigil keep, and a few zones in Orr. Come April 15th I will no longer be able to do that as people will not be from Sanctum of Rall and will be unable to join us in WvW. With no way to communicate with your allies this will become an even more difficult feat for non-wvw focused servers to mobilize forces.

I see you objective and it is a valued one however I strongly feel that this is a bad move and will negatively affect the game in the coming months. You’re changing Server Community to Game Community and putting barriers in communication which will hurt those servers who have been struggling.

On top of that I’m pretty sure this is just the tip of the iceberg and soon WvW will be to follow. At which point there will be nothing left of the houses we built.

Please reconsider this option until you have some time to think about all the repercussions and the long term effect on communities.

Concerned,

» Edited on: 2014-04-02 11:13:23

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Commander Jeff.5139

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 10:40 AM

This is likely an April Fool's joke or ANET is high on something other than common sense.  

This "Megaserver" nonsense would be tantamount to dissolving ALL of the server/world communities leaving only guilds as the remaining constant  community unit with servers/worlds being just a name plate for a WvW group. 

PvErs from our server will less likely encounter a nice helpful Rallian along the road, and will more likely be confronted by trolls at every bridge, ERPers along the coast and guild recruiters at every corner (as its gonna be ridiculously hard to recruit for WvW and I see a lot of hardcore WvWers taking their business every where else but here or wildstar).   

Lastly I question the usefulness of such a move as there IS this thing called guesting in which you can leave your empty world and go find more fun across other borders.  

By:

Lawrencii.1356

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 11:02 AM

I think you post has been merged and "lost"(?) in the Feedback-Questions-MegaServer :(

» Edited on: 2014-04-02 11:05:50

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 11:14 AM

Yeah... they pushed it into page 8 of the massive thread where it likely will never be seen or heard from again.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Kalla.4290
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 11:18 AM

The need for chat channels now becomes even more vital for communities.

User submitted image

By:

Commander Soren.9316

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 11:35 AM

I'm none to thrilled about this at all. 100% agree with you Fog on everything you stated in your post.

No one will have a home anymore and things that made a server unique will be totally lost outside of WvW. The chat is going to go downhill, grouping is going to be a nightmare for community run events... Tyrian Adventure being one. Never mind the logistics nightmare of trying to get everyone into one instance... We're having the same issue with TTS as if/when it goes live we'll have no way to get all our guys into a specific map :\

ANET would be much better server by a district system as in GW1 where you could pick where you wanted to go.... this feels like a whole new pile of RNG suck as to whether or not I get to play with all my friends/guildies...

---------------------------------------
LGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

By:

Mindspirail.3048

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 12:10 PM

i dont want this to happen the community that keeps me coming back will be so damaged that i wont reconise it and im going to stop playing gw2 if it comes to pass because i do not agree with this horrible dision by anet The mega server is Dooms day for me in my point of view

By:

ceol.9175

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 02:11 PM

I think we have to see how this will interact with WvW before making any judgement, as I would say that's the core reason for servers existing. For instance, what if their system doesn't mash _every_ server together? What if it separates servers into three groups (red, blue, green) which is where the zones pull people from to fill? So say SoR gets put into the green group. We would share that group with seven other servers (24 servers / 3 groups = 8 servers per group) for both PvE and WvW content, and be pitted against the blue and red megaservers, never interacting with them outside of WvW.

Honestly though, they should have touched on server communities a bit more. I know they said servers and guilds would be prioritized when joining and instance, but that really kind of messes things up if you need to get a large number of people to meet up in the same spot. You end up with the people joining first filling up an already-existing instance, then everyone else goes into a new instance, and one of those groups gets left out of the event.

But I think we should definitely wait and see. The devs stated that servers are still going to be important, so I don't think they'll be removing them. Instead, it seems servers will become more of an abstract mega-guild (more than they already are, at least), and when there aren't enough people to fill out an instance with SoR players, they'll pull from somewhere else. It's not a perfect solution, but it seems to be a good one for solving the issue of empty zones and disparities between server (and WvW) populations. They just need to make sure they talk about the ways they're protecting server communities.

» Edited on: 2014-04-02 14:13:42

By:

Commander sscripko.5387
   Member of Archangels Haven

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 02:26 PM

I'm not exactly sure why cities are on the list of initial places to be combined.  These places are already some of the highest population areas (Even the empty cities have more people than many of the maps), and are the place where the server identity is created.  

I promised myself I'd hold judgement until they finished the 3 days of blog posts.  As it stands, our opinions are irrelevant anyway, so the options are to find out if the changes break the gameplay for us, or if we have to find another game.  Writing about it in the forums isn't going to change anything.

------

Archangels Haven [HALO] - WvW Command Team. Purchaser of the Golems. TS Administrator.

By:

Osu.6307

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 03:44 PM

I fully expected something like this to happen in wvw first, at least for the low-coverage servers. Kind of scratching my head as to why they would introduce this in PVE land. Do people flood anet's inbox with complaints about being sooooooo lonely in Caledon forest as they level up their 12th alt? 

By:

Commander buckeyecro.9614

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 04:09 PM

The recent decisions regarding the game (mainly new features) have troubled me a bit. I no longer actively play the game primarily because its not fun to play.

Why didn't they discuss the issue and their other imminent fundamental game changes more openly to gather feedback from their players before they even consider implementing their ideas?

Why didn't they just make the game like this in the first place?

More importantly what will happen to the Sanctum of Rall community and other server communities?

What are the current plans for this website/community?

What are they intending to accomplish by effectively eliminating servers?

What has caused them to make these changes to their game?

Why are they fundamentally changing the Spvp and other game modes through creating barriers for accessing new items/ traits/ etc in spvp?

All the current explanations, at least in my opinion, are greatly lacking in a adequate and sufficient explanation of why these changes are occurring. I would like to have a better understanding of Anet's point of view so that I can arrive at a better conclusion. I understand these changes are very likely meant to generate allot of profit for the major shareholders, but I wish they would have at least discussed these changes with the broader player base FIRST, maybe even through a Public Beta Environment of sorts, announcements, or a discussion series.

By:

Thracecius.8296
   Member of Power Of The Elements

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 06:17 PM

I've generally found the updates from ArenaNet to be a positive influence on my overall gaming experience, but this latest announcement has me concerned. As the leader of a small guild I don't expect my opinion to carry any weight, but when major concerns are already being voiced by the leaders of our server's community it gives me pause. The main question that springs to my mind is how will this effect the guilds I see when I play? I may not interact with them on a regular basis, but I can at least recognize many of the names and identify them as people I've grouped with, or dealt with in some fashion or another in the past, and blending servers together sounds like that identity will become virtually impossible to maintain. For instance, will I see members of GSCH massing for an event I can join, or be able to seek them out for assistance without first having to have a contact name, or, worse still, need to use an outside method of communication (RaidCall, SanctumofRall.com, etc.) to find them?

Our guild may be small, but it still has an identity in the SoR community, however minimal, and I would not like to see us get lost in a maelstrom of ever-changing guild names.

Signed,
-Thracecius, a concerned Rallian
AKA Belden Surestrike
POTE Guild Leader

» Edited on: 2014-04-02 18:18:34

User submitted image

By:

Incantator.8453
   Member of Unorthodox

Replied On: 04/02/2014 at 08:32 PM

More details about how the system is intended to work are coming out through the forums. There's a nice recap in this thread on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2224tx/more_details_on_the_megaserver/

Here's a relevant snippet:

• If your world usually has a comfortable population on a given map, you’re unlikely to see much of a difference here until the map actually starts getting full. We’re not going to toss a bunch of people from another world into a comfortably occupied server and make it uncomfortable.

• But some worlds do fill up all on their own pretty regularly. The improvement from this perspective is that if you try to join a very full map, the system will find another instance which also contains people from your world rather than the old overflows which were much more of a mixed bag.

• If your world has a very low concurrency on a given map, we can put you and everyone else from your server into a map with a more comfortable number of players. The key term here is “comfortable.” There’s breathing room. Megaserver is not overflow in reverse.

Also regarding the WvW speculation:

To quell speculation early, that is not what we are doing. The announcement will have more info, but we are absolutely not getting rid of worlds and putting everyone into an EotM type system.

There are obviously a lot of details yet to be revealed, and hopefully the posts over the rest of this week will clarify some of the important points. At this juncture though, we're really just speculating on how it will play out. No point in jumping to conclusions over an announcement that was, to be fair, extremely thin on detail.

By:

Lawrencii.1356

Replied On: 04/03/2014 at 11:02 AM

So, the last post is out and as far my concern goes it just not only does not fix it but it gets worse.

"The changes covered in this blog will not be included in the April 15 release and will likely come online by December 2014"

Nothing about Alliances, server chat tabs or any other way to make up for the lost of the main cities or starting maps. They just not give us a half megaserver but they make it the wrong way. Is the maps from lvl15+ to 80 that need more people for events or leveling and suff.. not the main cities and the starting area maps. I just dont get it.

I am loving the rest of the patch. But the Megaserver...

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved