Mar. 28, 2024
12:30 PM GMT

Website Update: Guild Leadership & Succession

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506
   Site Admin of Gaiscioch na Rall

Posted On: 05/29/2014 at 11:52 AM

Greetings Everyone,

This week I began the first phases of upgrading the guild system on SanctumofRall.com. One of the biggest factors we've fought with over the years is Succession as it applies to who maintains the Guild Records on SanctumofRall.com. I have added the ability to reassign the Leader to anyone currently active (Logged in past 30 days) on SanctumofRall.com and on the Guild Roster.

Now there comes a time when Guild Leaders stop playing, move to another server, or just stop logging into SanctumofRall.com. Instead of having these guilds go dormant while their members continue to login I have created a system to notify Guild Leaders that they've been away too long and allow them the opportunity to Name a Successor, Delete the Guild record, or if they continue to not respond after 10 days the site will name a successor for them.

Here's the Timeline:

• Day 60: Guild Leader has not logged in - A notice is sent to their email asking them if they wish to continue being the Leadership Representative for their Guild. It will provide them the option to login and resume Leadership status, change the Leadership Representative, or Delete the Guild.
  • Day 70: No Response From Guild Leader - A Successor is automatically named based on the highest ranked member on SanctumofRall.com, followed by the highest number of Leadership points, followed by most recently logged in.
  • Day 90: No Members Active in Past 90 DaysGuild is removed from the database.

It's my hope, that this system will help weed out some of the guilds who are no longer active or on SOR and keep someone in the leadership seat at all times who is using the website.

Benjamin Foghladha
Community Manager, SanctumofRall.com
Founder and Activities Director, The Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Reason:

Member Response:

By:

Commander GmaFoghladha.1853
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 12:18 PM

Thumbs up - it sounds like a good system to me...

Esther Foghladha

By:

Xavier Eledhwen.6901
   Member of Every Victor's Immortality Lair

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 12:25 PM

I Like it!

By:

Commander timmyf.1490
   Member of Super Mega Happy Fun Time

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 12:35 PM

Agreed. I think those dates are actually too generous, as 30/45/60 would probably be sufficient. It's a good start, though!

---
Karaoke (Loki | Oaky | Pokey | Smokey | Croaky | Cloaky | Soaky | Gnocchi)
Guild Leader - Super Mega Happy Fun Time [MEGA] - supermegahappyfuntime.com

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 12:41 PM

Don't want to thin the guild numbers out too fast as some people get sucked into the latest and greatest only to be let don't and find themselves coming back. Also guilds may have gone to another server and then find their way back home. Want to give them the option of keeping it alive.

» Edited on: 2014-05-29 12:41:48

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Incantator.8453
   Member of Unorthodox

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 01:01 PM

Might it be possible for a guild leader to mark a guild as inactive?

As you note, some people might go away for a time and then come back (our guild is a good example of that; there's only 5 of us, and life gets in the way). While we are on SoR and have no intention of leaving, it's entirely likely that we'll be gone for months at a time without any activity. I suppose removing us entirely isn't the end of the world, but given how rarely we use the site / system, it's more likely that we'd just never add it back in.

Just a thought; we're hardly the active users you want the system to cater to, but it is a use case that might be valuable to consider.

By:

Commander sscripko.5387
   Member of Archangels Haven

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 01:49 PM

I don't know if this is somewhere on your to-do list, but it would be wonderful to set multiple people to accept that various members are in a guild.  While I am not the guild leader (don't want that, thank you very much), I am the most active on the site here, and it would be wonderful to have it so that two people could verify membership.

Ferdy

------

Archangels Haven [HALO] - WvW Command Team. Purchaser of the Golems. TS Administrator.

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 01:50 PM

Yeah, Incantator brings up a good point. Rather than remove from the DB, it might be better to have an Active/Inactive flag and remove Inactive guilds from the search results for everybody but members of that guild. That's a bit more coding, of course, and unnecessary.

Let's call it a nice-to-have. #nevergoingtogetdone ;-)

---

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 02:07 PM

You can flag your Guild Away in the Edit Guild Area. This will preserve it for when you return and remove you from the active list.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 02:10 PM

Oh cool. Is there a reason you'd delete the guild instead of just setting them as away?

---

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 02:15 PM

Mainly to streamline it Timmy. There are guilds that are long since dead that we don't need to fill up our system with. They can always recreate the listing if they so desire at a later date. I just don't want to fill up the database with guilds that don't exist anymore. Let alone have them rotating in our premium areas because 1 person who was in them a year ago hasn't removed themselves from the guild on this site yet. We need some type of phasing out guilds that don't play on SOR or even GW2 anymore.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 02:31 PM

Officers will now have access to the Admin tab to accept pending invites.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Commander Balor.8405
   Member of Gaiscioch na Rall

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 03:16 PM

Great Idea and covered my previous post about guilds and etc.

Woot for web site up dates. Many Thanks and likes on this. 

By:

Commander timmyf.1490

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 03:19 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the work on this, Fog! It'll be very interesting to see how many guilds fall off because of this change.

---

By:

Commander Foghladha.2506

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 03:32 PM

I'd rather have the old ones fall of to make room for some new players on our battlefield :). Once this Season ends it's go time.

Benjamin Foghladha

By:

Thracecius.8296
   Member of Power Of The Elements

Replied On: 05/29/2014 at 05:23 PM

I really like this idea and how it has been implemented, and while I don't plan on going anywhere, it's nice to know that my guild will remain intact (such as it is) even if I go dormant for some reason. Now, if only I could setup my guild in-game to take over for me while I'm away, then I'd be set. ;)

Regards,

-Belden Surestrike

Guild Leader, Power Of The Elements [POTE]

User submitted image

This site is a Gaiscioch Production with the support of the Sanctum of Rall server community. Site Produced by Benjamin "Foghladha" Foley [Foghladha.2506].
This site was built to commemorate and honor the life of Roger "Oldroar" Rall. It is open to the community but under constant moderation. Any use of this site which is deemed unbecoming of an honorable community member is strictly prohibited. No trolling, no trash talking, no bashing, no swearing. Please keep this site open, friendly and welcoming to all members of the Sanctum of Rall server community.

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2012-2024 by: Benjamin Foley. All Rights Reserved